FAQs (SME focused)
How many employees should a company have before there is a need for an HR department?
- As organizations grow there is a need to administer HR, but that does not mean an HR department is necessary NOR does it mean you will fill all of your HR needs, expertise and gaps with this one person.
- Typically any organization even those with as few as 10 employees need someone to tend to the Talent Management & Development issues. Such a person is often in the position of CEO, Office/Personnel Manager or the Owner/ promoter and asked to know far too much in a field that is complex and critical to running an effective compliant business. They are spread too thin and inadequately prepared to handle complex Talent Management & Development related issues.
- Outsourcing this function could be the answer to solving your HR issues.
Am I too small or too large a company for your services and expertise?
- Our clients range from small startups to Fortune 500 companies. The majority of our clients have under 1000 employees and may have less than 100 employees.
Are you a temp agency or a payroll company? What’s the difference between your company and these other types of HR companies?
- We do not place temporary employees or handle payrolls. Our role and objective is not to process transactions but to assist you with handling the problems of managing your workforce.
How important is it to outsource HR for a broader Talent Transformation?
It's important to use outsourcing as a catalyst for broader Talent transformation. To achieve maximum value from outsourcing requires:
- Putting in place an overall HR service-delivery model that integrates outsourced and retained HR.
- Redesigning processes and roles, while upgrading retained staff's knowledge, skills and capabilities.
- Increasing line manager and employee readiness to capitalize on HR's new role and capabilities.
How does HR consulting work for an organization when they are not part of it day to day?
- This is quite simple. First as a consultant, WPFL gets to know the culture, policies, practices and desires of the business.
- After that, Talent Management & Development related issues can be handled.
- WPFL would serve as a mentor to that person on staff that handles day to day employment questions so that person can appropriately and comfortably handle the situations they encounter.
What constitutes HR functions in SMEs?
- Typically, HR includes those functions that no one else either wants or is capable of doing effectively. From recruiting to orienting new employees, from writing job descriptions to handling performance issues, from identifying training needs to creating individual development plans, from recordkeeping requirements to monitoring compliance, as well as writing policies.
What is the value of having such functions in place?
- Compliance, good business practice; effective recruitment strategies; enhanced talent management & development strategies; higher levels of professionalism and performance; reduced likelihood of turnover and conflict.
Why should I outsource any of my human resources functions or projects?
- Outsourcing any of your human resource functions or projects allows you to gain access to immediate resources and experience that are not currently within your organization. This allows you to develop effective applications that fit your specific situation and company.
How do I know what I need for my organization?
- WPFL has an HR assessment that quickly identifies those most vulnerable areas and makes recommendations as to what to focus on and why.
I need an HR structure. What would WPFL do to help with that?
- WPFL would determine the expectations of those key business managers that realized the need; compliance issues will be identified; employee handbook reviewed to ensure it is up to date and appropriate;
- Some basic functions would be to ensure that positions are classified properly, Organization structure is designed and updated and in place; and a host of other things.
- Review of employee files will also be important ensuring that some basic items are in the files such as application for employment, performance appraisals, changes in wages, position changes etc.
- WPFL will then assess the type of HR person that you might need to keep the functions going and one that can handle the day to day HR questions once such a structure is in place.
It seems easier just to hire someone on staff to handle this work... why shouldn’t I?
- First of all, the cost of a well experience HR professional is often not money well spent since the needs of smaller organizations (under 200 employees) is such that the need for a professional on the payroll all the time is not cost effective.
- When trouble lurks, the level of person you need is significant. An experienced consultant can plug right in and set up a process to resolve the issues.
- Most organizations that insist on hiring this position have found this to be true, not only are strong HR professionals paid significant salaries but a well experienced person would likely not be energized by small organizations since the need for their service on an ongoing basis is simply not there.
- There have been many businesses that tried this and realized it doesn’t work… they now use HR consultants.
It is often stated…” I have an Personnel / Admin manager that focuses his/her time on HR and it works”…does it really?
- Assess whether this really is working. WPFL has found that conversations with Personnel / Admin managers have indicated they are stressed, overworked and do not understand half of what they need to know related to HR…yet they are asked to handle things that can put a business in a vulnerable position legally, if challenged.
I don’t have time to deal with HR related issues.
- You can’t afford not to spend time and money on these issues. Your staff salaries and benefits account for a significant portion of your business income, are they working effectively
Will you replace my current HR staff or management?
- We are here to supplement and support an organization with capabilities and assist those within the Human Resource functions based on their needs. We help contain costs by helping organizations with limited resources.
- Your employees are your most valuable ASSET… ensuring they are working smart for your business needs to be your main priority.
I am not comfortable dealing with strong personalities or conflict in my office and I don’t have time to spend on this so maybe if I ignore it, the problem will go away.
- Learning from an experienced professional on how to handle such personalities is all it takes. This will save you valuable time and money for the future.
- The problem will NOT go away, but rather get larger over time. Employees see passive approaches to their workplace issues as lacking respect for them as people.
- Morale and productivity suffer as well as a decreased respect for those managing the business!
So what will be the biggest benefit to having an HR consultant?
- Besides what has been mentioned above and probably most importantly in the end is “peace of mind”...you know you need to handle this important aspect of your role as business owner/manager;
- You are not immune to laws regardless of how many employees you have and you can’t afford to not ensure your staff is trustworthy and working hard to ensure your clients/patients/customers aren’t getting the level of service they deserve
- Focus on what generates income/profits and effective business practices.
You have so many different types of services. Can you really be experienced and knowledgeable in so many areas of Human Resources?
- Our generalist perspective and over 6 years of experience in this arena gives us the knowledge to be experts within all the areas of services we offer.
How much does something like this cost?
- Consulting on an “as needed” basis can be handled on a flat rate annual fee with a certain amount of hours committed to that organization for that fee.
- This could also be on a assignment basis for a fixed period.
- This is worked on directly with the business in order to meet the needs of that particular organization.
- Fees are reasonable and affordable, guaranteed!
- You can’t afford NOT to have this function.